Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institute of Sport Sciences

History

Information on the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin’s sporting history

Key dates in the historical development of the Institute Department of Sports Sciences

 

1920

In May, The Deutsche Hochschule für Leibesübungen DHfL (a university for physical education) was founded in Berlin, initially under the leadership of Prof. Bier followed by Prof. Sauerbruch (from 1932).

1925

A Department of Physical Education was set up in October at what was then Friedrich-Wilhelm-Universität. Practical training as a PE teacher (as a minor subject for philology students) was initially completed at the DHfL.

1929

In August, sport became an independent subject by ministerial decree. Academic (theoretical) training was completed at the university, but practical training as a teaching candidate was initially still provided by the DHfL and the Preußische Hochschule für Leibesübungen (a Prussian university for physical education).

 

1933

All training was transferred to Berlin University’s Department of Physical Education.

 

1945

Carl Diem worked to set up a new department.

1946

The institute was officially opened as the “Department of Physical Education and School Healthcare”. It fell under the newly founded Faculty of Education, with Carl Diem becoming its first director.

As of 1949

Teacher training was expanded to include the areas of biomechanics, sports motor skills and psychology. This “Department of Physical Education” boosted its academic profile with multidisciplinary research into sports instruction.

Starting in 1968

As a result of the third higher education reform (merging with the Student Sport department), the “Sports Sciences section” was born.

1985

For the first time ever in the GDR, a program was offered that trained P.E. teachers and rehabilitation sports teachers.

 

In 1990

The current Institute of Sports Sciences began to develop within the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin’s Faculty of Arts and Humanities I, initially with the involvement of the structural and appointment committee.

 

1993

The Institute  relocated to the Sportforum Hohenschönhausen.

2004

Introduction of the new BA programsmes in Sports Sciences.

2008

Introduction of the new master’s programs in Sports Sciences.

2009

Move to a new department building on Campus Nord.

2011

Inauguration of the new sport research hall on Campus Nord.